First up, I am going to show you how to make an affordable charcuterie board to bring to your next picnic!
1. WHAT KIND OF BOARD SHOULD YOU PICK & HOW SHOULD YOU LAY EVERYTHING OUT?
2. TO START BUILDING YOUR BOARD, BEGIN WITH AFFORDABLE SWAPS FOR EXPENSIVE MEATS AND CHEESE.
3. FIVE INEXPENSIVE ADD-ONS THAT SATISFY!
1. Vibrant veggies that stand up in the heat: Snap peas, red peppers, carrots (try to find purple ones for a colourful pop), cauliflower, celery, cucumber, radishes, asparagus spears, broccoli.
2. Sweet Fruit: They balance out the salty notes on the board and add bright colours and chewy textures.
FRESH FRUITS: Apples, pear, grapes, melons, berries.
DRIED FRUITS: Mangoes, apricots, goji berries, figs, dates.
FRUIT COMPOTES / LOW SUGAR JAM
3. Crunchy Crackers: Most health food stores have gluten-free, paleo, vegan crackers to meet people's dietary needs.
4. Sour: Something pickled helps digestion and satisfies salt cravings in the heat. Examples would include olives, marinated red peppers, olive oil infused sundried tomatoes, stone ground mustard, horseradish, pickled onions, marinated artichoke hearts.
5. Seeds: Great swaps for nuts! Instead of spending a fortune on roasted almonds or cashews, try toasting some pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds with a splash of gluten-free tamari. (TIP: Put them in a shaker so no one touches the seeds)
4. HOW MUCH DOES YOUR TYPICAL CHARCUTERIE BOARD COST VS YOUR SUMMER PICNIC BOARD?
CLICK BELOW TO TRY MY 3 PERFECT PICNIC RECIPES:
Click here to watch my "Picnic Perfect" segment on The Marilyn Denis Show!