This recipe was featured on the Marilyn Denis Show on February 11, 2020, as apart of the Heart Healthy segment.
This popular Chinese green vegetable is a member of the cabbage family but resembles romaine lettuce more than the standard coleslaw ingredient. In this stir-fry recipe, this green veggie—paired with shiitake mushrooms, sweet Asian dressing and lots of red pepper—takes on a sweetness without dominating.
1/4 cup chicken or veggie broth
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp avocado oil
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped, stems removed
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp ginger, freshly grated
6 cups bok choy, chopped into 2-inch strips
2 Tbsp coconut sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, cashews, hemp hearts or almonds for garnish!
1. Chop all vegetables before beginning to cook.
2. Warm the broth in a deep pan.
3. Add the garlic, onion and mushrooms and broth sauté for two minutes. When the veggies are soft, add ginger and red peppers.
4. Top with chopped bok choy and toss until softened.
5. Add dressing, coat well and serve immediately.
Serves 4 as a side dish. If you add roasted chicken, this makes a perfect meal for 2 people.
Indulge in delicious, healing recipes and down-to-earth, easy-to-understand nutritional science. Go on, you deserve it!