Artichokes have a superpower of being able to make something you eat or drink alongside them taste sweeter than it is, which seriously helps you curb cravings for sugar. One of the phytochemicals in artichokes, called cynarin, latches on to sweet receptors on your tongue without activating them. This simulates a sensation of slight sweetness on your taste buds so that anything you eat or drink after this dip will taste sweeter. This recipe is very low carb and packed with fibre that helps keep you feeling full, and I love the flexibility of it. You can skip the spinach and serve it as a cold dip or add in some sustainable fish and make it a main dish.
½ cup raw cashew pieces or hemp hearts
1 cup hot water, for soaking
1½ cups cooked cauliflower, well drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh dill
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
½ cup Avocado Mayonnaise (page 218) or sugar-free vegan mayonnaise
½ teaspoon unrefined pink salt
4 cups packed fresh baby spinach
2 cups marinated artichokes, drained and diced
1 can (5 ounces) sustainable fish such as tuna or salmon (if making a main dish casserole) (optional)
Keto Seed Crackers (page 191 of Becoming Sugar-Free)
Corn-Free Tortilla Chips (page 195 of Becoming Sugar-Free)
Fresh vegetable sticks (celery, carrot, zucchini, sweet pepper, cucumber)
1. In a glass jar or measuring cup, soak the cashews in the hot water for about 20 minutes, or until softened. Drain and discard the water. (If using hemp hearts instead of cashews, do not presoak them.)
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. In a food processor, combine the drained cashews, cauliflower, lemon juice and coconut milk and blend into a smooth and creamy consistency.
4. Add the nutritional yeast, garlic, dill, oregano, Avocado Mayonnaise and salt and blend until combined. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the spinach, artichokes and fish, if using.
5. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden on top. Serve with Keto Seed Crackers, Corn-Free Tortilla Chips or vegetable sticks. Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Makes 10 servings.
Vegan Option: Use sugar-free vegan mayonnaise (also egg-free) and omit the fish.