Dandelion greens are amazing for their nutrient-packed goodness and liver/kidney cleansing properties, but it is tough to get folks hooked on their bitterness. That’s not a problem with this wilted salad. The blueberries add sweetness, the pine nuts lend richness and crunch to the bitter dandelion greens, and the honey brings it all together. It’s easy, nutritious, and is the perfect antidote for our little overindulgences!
2-3 tbsp coconut oil
1 small purple onion, minced
1/2 tsp Herbamare or sea salt
1-1/2 tbsp unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup dried blueberries (or cranberries if you prefer)
3-4 cups dandelion greens, stems removed, washed, and cut into 3-inch lengths
1-1/2 tsp raw honey
1/2 cup pine nuts or hemp hearts
1. Remove stems from dandelion, washed, and cut into 3-inch lengths.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large sauté pan and add the chopped purple onion and Herbamare. Cook over low heat until soft.
3. Add the vinegar and blueberries, and cook slightly until they soften (about a minute).
4. Lower the heat, and stir the dandelion greens into the pan and stir them until they are just wilted.
5. Take off the heat, add the raw honey and toss to coat the dandelion/onion mixture.
6. Place all ingredients into a bowl, top with pine nuts or hemp hearts and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.