If you like to take a salad for lunch but don’t have time to prepare it in the morning, try this recipe from my book, Slimming Meals That Heal. By using a mason jar and putting the dressing in first, you can make salads ahead of time. When you are ready to eat, just give the salad a shake and enjoy. Feel free to change up the ingredients of the salad. Just remember to always place the greens at the top of the jar to keep them from coming into contact with the dressing.
4 tbsp Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette (see below)
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 cup chopped apples
1 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup walnuts
1 cup cooked red quinoa
1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
2 cups spinach or arugula
1. Find 2 wide-mouth 32-oz mason jars with tight-fitting lids.
2. Pour half the dressing into the bottom of each jar, then add onions, beans and apples so they can marinate.
3. Add carrots, walnuts, quinoa and, at the very top, spinach or arugula.
4. Shake well just before serving to coat ingredients.
Makes 2 servings.
Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp dried basil
2 tbsp raw honey
1⁄4 tsp pink rock salt or grey sea salt
2 cloves garlic, roasted, or 1 clove raw garlic, crushed
1. Place all ingredients into a blender and blend for about 30 seconds. Use immediately or store in a jar for 1 to 2 weeks.
Click here: Lose weight and balance your hormones