Here's a fun vegan and gluten-free twist on traditional Tzatziki. I call this my Low Bloat Tzatziki! It was featured on The Marilyn Denis Show and turned out to be a total fan favourite.
1 cup cashews
3-4 tbsp lemon juice (depending on how tart you like it)
¼ tsp lemon peel zest
1 tsp dried dill or 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup grated young zucchini
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup coconut milk
Add these spices if you tolerate them well:
1/8 to 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of black pepper
1. Soak cashews for at least 2 hours if you don’t have a high-speed blender.
2. Rinse cashews after soaking thoroughly and drain.
3. Put cashews, lemon juice, zest, olive oil, salt, garlic, pepper (if using) and coconut milk into a high-speed blender.
4. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary.
5. If desired, add 1 tablespoon of extra lemon juice (for extra tang).
6. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in zucchini.
7. Mix well, and then refrigerate to cool.
This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups. Be sure to pass it along to your friends and family so they can use it at their next summer potluck or party!