You don’t need to be trekking through the forest to enjoy a good trail mix. It is a great snack to have on hand any time you need an energy boost, whether you are on the go in the city or on a hike in the woods. The main recipe for this trail mix is savoury, with the anti-inflammatory spices turmeric, coriander and cumin, while the variation is a sweet one, with cinnamon, cacao and coconut sugar.
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tbsp water
1 cup cashews
1 cup hazelnuts
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp pink rock salt or grey salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (apple juice sweetened)
1/2 cup dried cherries
For Optional Sweet and Spicy Flavor:
Replace turmeric, coriander and cumin with:
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp coconut sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Mix flax seeds in water until you create a slurry. Set aside.
2. Mix nuts and seeds in a medium mixing bowl and stir in the flax mixture.
3. Mix spices and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over mix.
4. Place on a pan in the oven and dehydrate for 1 hour until dry and crunchy.
5. Place into a large mixing bowl, add dried fruit and store in a mason jar until ready to enjoy.
Makes 16 servings.