This recipe is by my favourite chef and co-host of Healthy Gourmet, Ezra Title. The flavour is sensational but I am tickled that it is also amazing for you! Sweet potatoes are loaded with fibre, which helps reduce their glycemic index (the speed in which a food raises our blood sugar). They also help to heal the tendons and ligaments in the body; they contain 50 percent of the daily value of manganese per one cup (250 mL) serving.
One of the great superfoods that has been recently rediscovered is mesquite pods. You may be familiar with mesquite wood for smoking and roasting, but the pods are packed with amazing nutrition. When ground they are sweet and have notes of chocolate, coffee and cinnamon. Mesquite is a good source of many essential minerals including manganese, selenium and zinc. It is also high in plant sterols, which are being studied for heart and immune health.
2.2 lbs (1 kg) sweet potatoes (about 6 large)
4 tbsp (60 mL) maple syrup
2 whole vanilla beans
1 tbsp (15 mL) mesquite powder
1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin
1 tbsp (15 mL) turmeric
1 tsp (5 mL) coriander
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
To taste pink rock or grey sea salt
1. Preheat oven at 375°F (190°C).
2. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a sheet tray in the oven for about an hour.
3. Warm maple syrup in a pot. Once warm, scrape vanilla beans into syrup.
4. When sweet potatoes are tender scoop flesh from their skins into a food processor and add all the spices.
5. Blend until smooth, add vanilla syrup, and season with salt. Makes 6 servings.
|< Prev||Next >|