One way to avoid holiday weight gain is to load up on fibre! Be sure to eat a fibre-rich snack before a celebration and include them in your party treats.
Fibre could be described as the carbohydrates that you can’t digest. Because we lack the enzymes to break fibre down, fibre fills us up and controls hunger. It is a must for blood sugar balance because it slows down the absorption of any sugar or starch that is ingested with it.
Instead of just looking at the grams of carbs in a meal, it has become popular to look at “Net Carbs”, that is, the number of carbohydrates minus the fibre and sugar alcohols. The ‘net’ carbohydrate value of a food, simply refers to the amount of digestible carbohydrate that a product contains. Fibre shakes are great.
This Healthy Eggnog is a tasty way to include fibre in your holiday celebrations.
4 egg yolks
2.25 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 – 400mL can of full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. inulin powder (flavourless fiber supplement)
- Separate the whites from yolks. Place egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl and set aside. Transfer egg whites to a small mason jar and use in healthy omelet!
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Reduce heat to low once you reach a simmer.
- Slowly add approximately 1/4 cup of the hot liquids to the egg yolks while whisking continuously. Continue until you’ve added about one cup of the liquid mixture to the egg yolks before transferring the yolks to the pot.
- Bring back up to medium heat and whisk while simmering for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately or pour in a mason jar and refrigerate.
- Sprinkled with a touch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg! Makes 1000 ml
|< Prev||Next >|